Baking Soda or Sodium Bicarbonate is one of the best, multi-purpose, non-toxic(environment-friendly) and cheap cleaning agents that are readily available at home. It neutralizes both basic and acidic odors and can dissolve dirt and grease in water. Among its specific home cleaning uses are the following:
General House Area
- Trash Can/Bins - deodorize your trash bins by rinsing it with baking soda and water or just sprinkle it while there is still garbage in the bin to remove the bad odor
- Carpets - sprinkle baking soda to remove odor before vacuum, let the baking soda stay for 15 minutes then vacuum.
- Closets - put an open container or box with baking soda to mitigate the odor
- Deodorize Stinky Shoes - sprinkle baking soda inside shoes
- Refrigerator - just like in closet, to remove odor put cup of baking soda inside your refrigerator this will absorb the odor inside your fridge.
- Countertops and Stove Tops - clean the area with a damp clothe or sponge with baking soda not only this will clean the area but will leave it smell fresher
- Microwave - mix warm water with baking soda, use sponge to wipe inside and outside of your microwave, can be used for other home appliances as well like coffee maker, grills
- Silver Utensils - make a baking soda paste by mixing 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water, rub the mixture to each utensil then wash with warm water
- Pot and Pans - use baking soda to remove stains and odor from food while taking care of the quality of your pots and pans
- Bathroom or Tile Floors- mix baking soda with a warm water to clean your bathroom/tile floors.
- Drains - deodorize drains by sprinkling baking soda while running warm water, it can also be used to unclog drains
- Wall Stains - sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and directly apply to the stained walls
- Laundry - mix a cup of baking soda in your laundry to help brighten and freshen your clothes, it can also be a good tool in cleaning your washing machine
If you have other "baking soda" home cleaning ideas, just post in the comment below.