Lemons are best for house cleaning because of its acidic or anti-bacterial properties and aroma that will keep your house smelling clean and fresh and an eco-friendly alternative to commercial agents. As you will notice many of commercial cleaning supplies added lemons to enhance their products. Generally, lemons are used as degreaser, bleacher, odor eliminator/freshner and stain remover.
Some of the house cleaning uses of lemons are the following:
- Kitchen Drains - mix lemon juice with hot water and pour in the drain. Or you can use it in cleaning your sinks by making a paste mixture of lemon juice and salt then scrub it gently to your copper, brass or stainless steel sink and fixture then rinse with water.
- Cutting Boards - to remove stains and avoid leaving the flavor of foods from your cutting boards, just rub half of the lemon in your cutting board and leave it for minutes then rinse
- Countertops - remove stains from countertops by sprinkling salt mixed with lemon juice,scrub the area then rinse. Don't use in delicate stone like marble or granite, it may cause discoloration.
- Microwave Cleaning - for stains and odors in your microwave, mix lemon slices and water in bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute. then wipe out the food particles with a moist sponge or clean cloth.
- Oven Spill and Stovetop Cleaning - make a paste mixture of lemon juice, baking soda and water then apply to the spills and let it stay there until 15 minutes. Scrub and rinse with water and sponge.
- Refrigerator - just leave half lemon inside refrigerator to help control unpleasant smell
- Dish Cleaner - cut lemon into half , sprinkle baking soda in the cut part then rub to the dishes
Bathroom and Laundry
- Bath, Showers - remove soap lime and scum from bathroom/shower tiles and grouts using lemons, just prepare paste mixture of 2parts baking soda and 1 part lemon juice. Apply the paste to the tiles and grouts using damp cloth, leave for 10 minutes then scrub with soft toothbrush or sponge.
- For White Clothes - just add 1/2 cup lemon juice for a normal-size load
- Windows Cleaning - for a sparkling windows just mix 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2cup white vinegar and 1 quart warm water. Scrub or use sprayer in applying the mixture in your window glass.
- Deodorize Vacuum Bag - just simply add baking soda and lemon peel to the vacuum bag
- Removing Rust - sprinkle rock salt in the rust area and squeeze lemon into it, leave for about an hour
- Brass, Chrome, Copper Cleaner - make paste mixture of baking soda and lemon juice and rub it to the metal then rinse and wipe with cloth
- Wood Furniture and Floors - use lemons as a furniture polish by mixing one cup olive oil and half cup of lemon juice. Use cloth to apply in your wooden furniture. This mixture can also be used as floor shine.
Want to know more about Green Cleaning? Grab a copy of Green Cleaning for Dummies